What is the Academic Record Amendment policy?

This policy and procedure regulates university departmental requests for academic record amendments by the Office of the University Registrar for students or former students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, and/or professional level course work. Adherence to this policy is intended to help Temple University meet applicable state, federal, and accrediting requirements when amending academic records. 

Academic records governed by this policy include registration records, grade records, curriculum records, and degree records for each student level: Undergraduate, Graduate, Law Professional, Law Graduate, Pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry, and Podiatric Medicine. 

Students seeking to amend their academic records should consult Temple University’s Policy Regarding Confidentiality of Student Records (policy #03.20.11).


What is the Academic Record Amendment procedure for advisors?

Office of the University Registrar will request documents from university School, Colleges, and/or departments to support Petition to Amend an Academic Record or to satisfy other academic record audits.  Academic record documents may originate within a department, office, or division. 

Prior to amending an academic record, Office of the University Registrar will require:

  • A completed Petition to Amend Academic Record available in TUportal in the University Forms channel.
  • A detailed justification for amending the academic record.

The Office of the University Registrar may ask for the Petitioner or involved Uuniversity department for:

  • All backup documentation to support the justification.
  • Conclusions drawn from the backup documentation.
  • The proposed response to the student based on the findings from the research. 

Student inquiries regarding the petition must be forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar.  The Office of the University Registrar will inform the designated authorized University official and student about the decision regarding the academic record amendment.


How do I submit a Petition to Amend Academic Record?

Academic units must submit the petition via TUportal:

  1. Sign in to TUportal.
  2. Click on the Advising Tools tab.
  3. Search for the student in Advising Dashboard.
  4. Click on Registrar Student360 link.
  5. In the Document Tools section, select Admin Record Amend in the dropdown menu.
  6. Upload the memo with the supporting documents as a single PDF file.

Requests for amending a student's record or documents submitted by email will be rejected.


Who should I contact if I have questions?

A Petition to Amend Academic record must be open for our staff to assist. Submitting the petition via TUportal will open the case. Once the case is open, Office of the University Registrar staff can assist with inquiries.