How can I report an Incomplete grade?

An instructor may file a grade of "I" (Incomplete) for a student only if the student has completed the majority of the work of the course at a passing level, and only for reasons beyond the student's control. Additionally, the student must sign a written agreement with the instructor and the department regarding completion of the work, including: the nature of the work to be completed, the means by which the final grade will be determined, and the date by which the work must be completed. The completion date may be no later than one year from the end of the term in which the student took the course. The agreement shall also specify a default grade to be received if the work is not completed by the date indicated.

When reporting the grade of "I" for a student, the instructor must also indicate the default grade in the electronic grading system. If the instructor does not change the grade of “I” - pursuant to the agreement with the student - by the end of one year from the time the grade of “I” was awarded (or following an earlier deadline), the Office of the University Registrar will automatically change the grade of “I” to the reported default grade, and the default grade will appear on the official transcript and be used for all other grading purposes as the actual grade received in the course.

PLEASE NOTE: When selecting an Incomplete during grade entry, the instructor should not alter the pre-populated default deadline. Doing so will create a system error and prevent the grade from being saved. If an earlier deadline is required, that date should be indicated on the agreement returned to the dean's office, who will share that document with the Office of the University Registrar to update the record. 


Other information

Incomplete grade policy # 02.10.13