What does Residency Verification mean?
The Office of the University Registrar conducts periodic review of student records for accuracy. During an audit of our records, we may find a discrepancy related to a student's Pennsylvania residency status which must be verified according to the Commonwealth guidelines. The discrepancy can be corrected by providing supporting documents that validate the student's in-state residency classification.
Who does this apply to?
Students selected for the verification will receive an email from the Office of the University Registrar.
What happens if I am selected for a verification?
You will receive an email with instructions for submitting documents to support your in-state classification. The email will include a deadline by which the documents must be upload via TUportal.
What documents are required to satisfy the verification?
We require only two documents for the verification:
Government issued photo ID showing the current address.
- The first page of Pennsylvania state tax form showing the current mailing address for the requested year. Financial information must be redacted. Federal tax form will not be considered.
- If you are a dependent for tax purpose, then you will have to submit your parent's or guardian's tax forms showing you are a dependent. Financial information must be redacted.
If the Pennsylvania tax document or a government issued photo ID is not available, please upload a letter explaining why. All other documents submitted in place of the above requested document will not be considered.
How do I send my documents?
To send the requested documents, please follow these steps:
- Using your TUportal login, sign into the Residency Verification app to submit the requested documents.
- Upload the requested documents as a single PDF file.
- Enter comments (optional)
- Click Submit Request.
- Click Confirm.
What if I do not submit the documents?
If we do not receive the requested documents before the deadline, you will be reclassified as a non-Pennsylvania resident which will update your tuition to the out-of-state rate.
Who do I contact for assistance?
For inquires related to the verification, please reply to the email you received.