Who can initiate a grade change?

Primary instructors may request grade changes electronically through TUportal using Self-Service Banner (SSB) for a grade that was recorded to a student's academic history within two years, as long as the student has not graduated. This secure online workflow gives both faculty and students quick access to grade information.


What is the process to initiate a grade change?

To submit a grade change, instructors must

  1. Log into TUportal.
  2. Select the Faculty/Teaching Tools tab
  3. In the Self-Service Banner for Faculty channel, click on the Change of Grade Request option.
  4. Search using only two criteria: either Term and CRN (returns a list of all students registered for the course) or Term and Student TUID (returns every course that student took with you that term). Entering additional search criteria may cause the search to fail.

Primary instructors can request a grade change through SSB for a grade that was recorded to a student's academic history within two years, as long as the student has not graduated. (Any grade change older than two years requires a memo signed by a final grade approver in the appropriate college and may be subject to Provost approval. This separate process is described below.)  



When a request is submitted, approvers (Deans or Dean Designees) approve or deny the request in workflow on TUportal. When the request is approved or denied, an e-mail confirmation is sent to both the instructor and the approver. If a request is approved, the student also receives a confirmation about the grade update. Students can then view their new grade in Self Service Banner. If a request is denied, students are not notified.   

Record changes

The new grade is inserted into the student's academic record immediately upon approval; however, the Grade Point Average recalculation and course repeat evaluation processing will not occur until the following morning.


What are the steps to request a change for an older grade? 

Requests to change a grade older than two years (or one that cannot be entered through workflow for another reason) must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar through a memo from the final approver explaining the request and reason for approval along with supporting documentation. Documentation must be uploaded via Student360. 


Who should I contact for questions about grade reporting?

If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to contact your grading liaison.